Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Autism Qld Update

Hi everyone,

I am the new Autism Advisor for the Sunshine Coast. Carla Smith has moved on to take over the same position in Cairns. Just letting everyone know that I am here to answer your questions, give advice and support. If you have a child under the age of six years with an ASD diagnosis who is not receiving the Helping Children with Autism funding, please contact me. My role is to support you through the use of the $12,000 funding package and give advice around Outreach services, Speech Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Psychologists in your area.

I can also provide you with information regarding workshops, other funded services, holiday care and schools so please do not hesitate to contact me J. Just a reminder: the current financial year ends June 30th 2011, so keep an eye on your funding to ensure you get the most out of it. If your child is turning seven in the next 12 months, it may also be worth making a note of what you have left and how to best use it this financial year and next. I can give you information about your balance and the financial year breakdown if required.

PlayConnect Play Groups and I are currently trying to facilitate the start of a PlayConnect Play Group for the Sunshine Coast. If you have a child under the age of six with ASD or a suspected diagnosis, please contact me and I will send you an expression of interest form – lets try and get one up and running for 2011!! PlayConnect Play Groups provide a supported play and learning environment for children with ASD, those currently running are very popular.

I understand that the holiday period can be an unsettling and difficult time for some families. I will be available to chat up until the 23rd Dec and will be back in the office from the 4th of January, so please do not hesitate to call or e-mail me. A tip for Christmas Day: have a ‘calm room or spot’ in which your child can go at anytime during the day if needed. This is their place; siblings, parents and cousins keep out J. If you are visiting a friend or family members home, pre-plan where this place will be and take your child there to show them as soon as you arrive. Having their own ‘calm’ area can help children to re-regulate when needed.

I look forward to chatting with you all over the next year or so,

Kind Regards

Nicola Weston.

Nicola Weston
Autism Advisor
136 North Road, Brighton Qld 4017
Phone:      07 3631 6303
Fax:          07 3269 3780
Mobile:      0488433254
www.autismqld.com.au
                Map to Office

No comments:

Post a Comment