Monday, May 30, 2011

Social Stories

SOCIAL STORY 1 - WHEN OTHER CHILDREN DON'T FOLLOW THE RULES

When other children don’t follow the rules...

When I play I like to follow the rules. I like to make sure that I share, take turns and play by the rules.

Sometimes children around me won’t play like I think they should play. They might play differently to me. They might wreck my stuff, break the rules, take toys off me or throw toys.

When other children don’t play like I think they should play, I will tell myself, “It’s ok” and keep playing by myself.

I will try to understand that not all children play like I play.

If another child hurts someone, or if they tease me, or throw a toy, or if they wreck my stuff, I will try and stay calm and then slowly and quietly stand up and go and tell an adult what happened.

 Mum and Dad will feel proud because I am learning to get along with others. My friends will be happy because we are all learning to play together. I will be happy because I am learning to play with my friends.

Resource: Noosa District Speech Pathology (07)5455 3112


SOCIAL STORY 2 - IT DOESN'T MATTER

It doesn’t matter!

Sometimes when I play games with my friends they don’t always want to play the way I do. It doesn’t matter! Everyone likes to play differently. We can play my way next time.

Sometimes when I do colouring or pasting or cutting I make a mistake. It doesn’t matter! I can always try again.

Sometimes when I am listening, other people talk. It doesn’t matter! The teacher will help everyone to be quiet together.

Sometimes I feel worried when other people don’t follow the rules. When I feel worried I can take big breaths. I can think of happy things. I can remember that I will see my Mummy soon. These things will help me to say ‘it doesn’t matter!’ and relax.

When I remember that ‘it doesn’t matter’ it helps me to feel happy again.

Resource: Noosa District Speech Pathology (07)5455 3112

SOCIAL STORY 3 -PLAYING GENTLY

Playing Gently

Playing can be soft or hard. Playing softly is called ‘playing gently’.

When I play with cars I will play gently. I will drive carefully. If I crash it will be a gentle crash!

When I play with animals I will play gently. The animals will touch each other softly. The animals can talk to each other and play with each other gently.

  I use soft hands when I play gently.

 Playing gently helps me to get along with others. Playing gently means lots of kids can play together safely and have lots of fun!

Resource: Noosa District Speech Pathology (07)5455 3112

SOCIAL STORY 4 - SLOW AND QUIET

Slow and Quiet!

 When I move I move slowly and quietly. I walk slowly and quietly and I sit down slowly and quietly. This way no one gets a fright when I move around!

When I talk I talk slowly and quietly. I use an ‘inside voice’. When I talk slowly and quietly everyone can understand me.

When I take things from someone’s hand, I take it slowly and quietly. When I take it slowly and quietly, the person will know that I’m not snatching!

When I play with my friends, I play slowly and quietly. When I play slowly and quietly everyone can get along together.

When I am slow and quiet everyone feels happy!

Resource: Noosa District Speech Pathology (07)5455 3112

No comments:

Post a Comment